MORINGA - for Life

Friday, May 22, 2015

WING SEXING

***UPDATE: I was right!  (Top L-R: female, male; Bottom L-R: male, female)  Second UPDATE...I was WRONG!!  Bottom right turned out to be a male as well. 

A VERY popular question: How do I know if my chicks are boys or girls?

At this point of my chicken adventure I'm not too concerned.  I technically would just wait and see how fast their combs grow, what their neck and saddle feathers come in like, or if I hear a crow (I can usually, visually tell before the crow though).  I'm not into vent sexing but you can Google it if you need to.  What I'm paying attention to this year is wings.  

They say wing sexing can only be done within the first couple days after the chick hatches. Hens' wing feathers will be two different lengths while roosters' are the same length. This is accurate in some breeds but not all.  I've never had to do this before but, because I have a few homegrown chicks this year, I'm definitely curious.

These photos are from week old chicks - so they're older than the recommended.  But, here's what I can tell you about my chicks, in particular...

  • The top left photo is a female that I purchased.  You can see several layers of feathers and they came in fast.  
  • The top right photo clearly has only a single row of feathers and are very slow to come in.  I'm fairly confident that this is a cockerel.  It is a pure Salmon Faverolles and looks just like his father did as a chick.  Also, the wing color is black and white like the father - the mother's wings came in brown as a chick.
  • The bottom two photos are the same mixed breed Salmon Faverolles father and Cream Legbar mother.  I suspect the left may be a boy and the right a girl (hoping for two girls though).  Not only are their wings different but one is overall a lighter color than the other.  Because they are a new mix, I don't know what they typically should look like as chicks.  
So, any bets?  LOL ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment