MORINGA - for Life

Friday, September 25, 2015

A BEAK "CAST"

Here is my Arabella with a "cast" on her upper beak - until the keratin layer grows back.  She has not figured out how to eat with it - chickens generally pick food up straight on and, with this cast, she needs to eat from the side - that's just not happening.  I've tried to syringe feed her (food does not work with that - only liquid), I've tried to spoon feed her (very messy and still doesn't work much), and I've tried gently pushing her head down so the beak dives deeper into the food bowl.  NOTHING has helped.  And yet, she tries and tries.  This morning I'm taking her back to the vet so he can dremel down the cast as much as possible; he says there's a chance it might break.....ugh... We'll try it and see.  That long beak is not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment