MORINGA - for Life

Friday, December 5, 2014

CHICKEN INTEGRATION: Making Progress

 So I've been trying to integrate the fancy girls with Tubby's crew.  I've been letting the Spitzhauben out a little bit almost daily - only the Cream Legbars have noticed her and they harass her so I stay close.

Meanwhile, I decided if the fancies can't go out right away I'd send someone in to visit....hello Mr. Tubbs!  I wasn't worried about Tubby giving the girls a hard time - I was concerned that they
might freak out on him, but they were just fine.

I hadn't seen the girls drink from the heated dog bowl before but Tubby went right to it and started drinking.  The Polish girl watched him then dipped her beak in and they drank for a little bit together.  Then Tubbs went to the food dish and started chowing down - the Silkie was hot on his heals and she ate heartily with him.

It always takes a while but they'll all eventually get together.  I've read that most people just toss the new birds into the coop with the old birds at night, then "BLING!" they're magically friends in the morning.  I've never done that.  I like to keep them separated, but still able to see each other until they get used to the new family.  Patience, Grasshopper.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is smart, too many times the pecking order is fierce and they can be very cruel to a newcomer! You are a great chicken mom!

    ReplyDelete