MORINGA - for Life

Saturday, December 14, 2013

HEATED WATERER for CHICKENS

Here in the cold, snowy states we're very familiar with our pet's water dishes freezing daily.  For the cats, I would just get them new water or pour some hot water over the frozen.  But since I got chickens three years ago I found it very necessary to buy a heated container.  Because there is no water out to the coops I had to do something - hauling water out several time a day was not working.

Over the years I've used these 3 gallon electric water founts (I run extension cords from the house out to the coops).  I HATE THESE WATERERS!!  Did you hear me growling?  I knew I hated them the first time but still bought another this year.  These are awful!  The bases VERY easily come apart from the tops and moving them can cause disaster - water everywhere, which then turns to ice of course!  You don't have to fill them by separating the top from the base because there is a "convenient" stopper underneath that you can fill from.  Did I mention how easily the top and base separate?  Yeah, I thought so.  Turn the unit upside down to fill from the stopper, turn back over, water pressure causes slight shift and SPLASH!  Top and bottom have come apart and you now have three gallons of water (or one if you think less filling will help) all over the ground and you, sometimes your chickens.  Not good.  Granted, this doesn't happen all the time but, more often than not - and I'm really careful.

Last year I got the cats a small heated water bowl which is wonderful.  This year I bought a large heated bowl for the chickens out at the big coop.  PERFECT!  Very pleased with the heated bowl.  I, however, would not put it inside (you might, and that's ok) because dust, wood chips, and feathers would easily be attracted to it being so open.  But a heated electric pet bowl is the way to go for sure!

Here are a couple other really neat ideas for waterers inside the coop:



No comments:

Post a Comment