MORINGA - for Life

Saturday, June 1, 2013

REVIEW: "Keurig"

I love a good cup of hot coffee or tea!  

The problem with our coffee makers has always been the eventual bitter taste that comes from an old pot.  No matter how many times you wash that thing you can never get the "old coffee" build up taste out - I don't care what you say, I can taste it!  The other problem, particularly for us, was waste or drinking too much.  We had a coffee pot, and sure we could make a cup at a time, but the pot is there and "we might want more, let's just make a whole pot".  There's where we'd wind up with too much or pouring the extra down the drain.

I wanted a new maker but there really wasn't anything wrong with
the one we had, other than the taste and waste.  I had been fantasizing about a Keurig for quite a while but I was not crazy about throwing out all those used k-cup containers, it didn't seem right.  Plus, wouldn't I get more coffee from a big can or bag?  Of course the can and bag lose freshness with as long as it takes us to go through it (it's just my husband and myself).  I wasn't seriously looking for a new maker - just had it in the back of my head.

Then one day we were at a kitchen store and we saw this little filter.  The perfect size to go into a Keurig so we could use coffee from the can/bag instead of wasting all those little k-cups!  Now that sparked my interest!  We didn't buy it, nor did we buy a new maker.....that day.

A few weeks later we were getting ready to go away for the weekend and my mother was coming to babysit the cats and chickens :).  While we were at the store getting supplies I made a decision, but first asked my husband's opinion.  I was sure mom hated making a whole pot of coffee just as much as I did - this would be the perfect excuse to buy a new maker!  I had been researching makers online since that day at the kitchen store and decided, when we bought, we would buy the Keurig Mini.  So, that day we bought the mini AND it came with a variety box of k-cups!  We also bought that filter I mentioned above, but we bought the one from Keurig not the off brand one because I read that not all off brands fit in every brewer.

Easy!  Awesome tasting coffee - every cup!  And quick!  Even the old can coffee tastes amazing.  We are really happy with this maker.  And it was only a hundred bucks (plus the extra filter).

Here's how I decided we'd use the k-cups.  I work four days a week and on those mornings is when I would pop in a k-cup, other than that I would just use can/bag coffee.  My husband doesn't care either way and he only takes a k-cup periodically.  

BTW, my mother LOVED the Keurig!  So, on our way home, from our weekend away, we bought one for her too (with the extra filter).  She was thrilled :).

About the k-cups - they also have them for tea.  However, I like my loose leaf organic teas from Mountain Rose Herbs.  Last night I had a cup of the Hibiscus High Tea and it was wonderful.

So, if you want a compact, easy to use, single cup coffee brewer, I highly recommend the Keurig Mini, and buy that extra filter too.  You'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment